Monday, December 8, 2014

The Art of Godly Acceptance

About a year or so ago, I ripped out a page from a small devotional book whose name currently escapes me. I have never been really into topical devotional books. I usually prefer to just read the bible on my own. 
But as I was cleaning my room one day, I found this little book and I started skimming through it a little. Not really stopping to read much of anything until a certain title caught my eye. 
 "The Art of Godly Acceptance" 

Underneath the title is Proverbs 16:9

"Many are the plans in one's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails."

Followed by that verse it reads:

"Sometimes, we must accept life on it's terms, not on our own. Life has a way of unfolding, not as we will, but as it will. And sometimes, there is precious little we can do to change things. 
When events transpire that are beyond our control, we have a choice: we can either learn the art of acceptance, or we can make ourselves miserable as we struggle to change the unchangable.
We must entrust the things we cannot change to God. Once we have done so, we can prayerfully and faithfully tackle the important work that He has set before us: the things we can change."

I have kept this taped to my dresser since then as a reminder to myself. 
Looking back at my life, I've seen lots of times that something went wrong and through those times that I was down, I wasn't choosing joy. 

I would complain, mope, get angry, act out in my own confusion, pray for my own wants in my life and how I wanted my life to be. 
Instead of trusting God and knowing that His plan was working through my life the whole time. 

I haven't mastered the art of godly acceptance just yet. In fact, I probably never will. I'm human and I question God's plans for my life all.the.time.

But the important thing is, I'm learning.

I posted this on my twitter last week and I think it's a good summarization of my year. 


Just in case you aren't familiar with those two verses, Jeremiah 29:11 reads 

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future." 

and Proverbs 3:5 says

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."

I have been clinging to those two verses this year. Whenever Satan starts to get in my head and tries to discourage me, I remind myself that I have surrendered to Him. 

His will not mine.

As much as anyone could try, even the smartest man alive still couldn't comprehend the ways of God.

 "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts higher than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:9)

So why would I, a 16 year old Junior in high school, try to understand His ways? It's impossible. 
I.can't.do.it.

So no matter what's going on in my life, I must remember that I have surrendered to someone higher than me. 
Not because I understand Him, but because I trust Him.

My God's got me, 'yo.

Looking back at your own life, do you get down when things don't go your way? Or have you surrendered to His will? If you'd like to share any personal stories of this you can message me at either of the sites below. 


••
If you enjoyed this post or want to give any suggestions do me a favor and like my FB page at https://www.facebook.com/keepchoosingjoy 

or follow my twitter @choosingjoyy or my personal @lolcarlie 
••


 












No comments:

Post a Comment