Thursday, October 9, 2014

Lunar Eclipse

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
Day after day they pour fourth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge. 
They have no speech, they use no words; 
no sound is heard from them. Yet their voice goes out into all the earth." (Psalm 19)

In my last post I mentioned how the sky has always been something that fascinated me. So you shouldn't be surprised to hear that I got minimal hours of sleep last night because of the Lunar Eclipse
(If you know me, you know it just had to have been important to me in order for me to lose sleep just to see it.) 

I have yet to find anywhere where I feel as close to my Lord as I do when I'm outside under His beautiful sky. Especially night time. 
It's one of the few places I can pour out my heart to my Lord. To feel His presence so close to me and I just know He's looking down listening. 

"The LORD merely spoke, and the heavens were created. He breathed the word, and all the stars were born" (Psalm 33:6)

My God is SO powerful, that all He had do was merely speak and all the things that we humans spend so much time and money attempting to understand even the smallest part of, was created. Just like that.

Is that humbling or WHAT?

No matter what it looks like outside, I'm content staring up at the sky lost in my own thoughts and captivated by the beauty. 
Yes, even very early in the morning when every normal person is sound asleep. 

So early this morning, way before my normal day would usually start, was the October 8'th 2014 Lunar Eclipse.

Although I was already very tired I was still determined to see it. I missed the Eclipse in April and there was no way I was going to miss this one. 
So I set my alarm for 3AM.
When it went off I wrapped my blanket around my shoulders, grabbed my pillow pet, and crept quietly out of my room, through the house and out to my backyard. An old plastic chair was already on my porch waiting for me. I moved it into my yard where I could see the moon perfectly.
 It was full, bright, and beautiful.
 I would have been content if that was how it looked all night but instead it only got better. 
snuggled up on the chair pulling my blanket tightly around me and leaning my head back on the chair. Ah! It was beautiful. 
It was so very bright. Breathtaking. 
The halo above the moon was rainbow colored which only added to the beauty. I'm not sure how long I sat there staring at it, but close to 4:30AM the rainbow halo disappeared and the brightness slowly started to dim. Till eventually almost the whole moon was grey. Leaving only a small crescent shape still shining.
The grey didn't linger very long before it started changing to a faded orange color. Then about 20 minutes after 5 the orange started shifting to a darker red color. The Blood Moon.

I stayed out watching the red slowly take over. Hardly able to keep my eyes off of it for only a minute. 
I attempted capturing the moment by picture, but we all know pictures never do justice. Some things you just have to see with your own eyes. 
Before I knew it, I checked my phone and it was 6AM. 
My dad was up getting ready for work and I knew I had probably spent more time outside than I should have. I knew I'd be exhausted all day but I didn't regret a single moment of it. 

Moments like that are what make me truly happy to be alive. The moments that make me realize how tiny I am. Moments that force me to realize how truly AMAZING my God is. 
If you missed this Eclipse, catch the next. It is totally worth missing sleep for. 




The moon. I am overwhelmed at the beautiful sight of only a small portion of His creation. 
I simply can't wait for the day to stand before His throne. Shining brighter and a thousand times more radiant than any moon or anything my human mind could ever imagine. 

Although I sometimes wonder and try my best to imagine what that day will look like. I know it's all part of the beautiful mystery. 
I like to think of His creation as little hints. 
All of the overwhelming sights of the earth can't even begin to compare. 

It will be a place so beautiful that a thousand of earth's moons still don't come close. 

Home. 



No comments:

Post a Comment