Monday, February 16, 2015

Promises


Wait a minute? A rainbow? I entitled this post "promises" so you might be wondering why I started this post with that picture of a rainbow. But if you're familiar with Old Testament stories then you know why. 
Even if you aren't, most of us have heard at least once in our lives the story of Noah and the Ark and how God set the rainbow in the sky as a symbol of His promise to Noah and all mankind. Check it! (It's long, but it's God's word so read it.

"I am going to make a solemn promise to you and to everyone who will live after you. This includes the birds and the animals that came out of the boat. I promise every living creature that the earth and those living on it will never again be destroyed by a flood.

The rainbow that I have put in the sky will be my sign to you and to every living creature on earth. It will remind you that I will keep this promise forever. When I send clouds over the earth, and a rainbow appears in the sky, I will remember my promise to you and to all other living creatures. Never again will I let floodwaters destroy all life. When I see the rainbow in the sky, I will always remember the promise that I have made to every living creature. The rainbow will be the sign of that solemn promise." (Genesis 9:9-17) 

I really love that passage. To think how many, many years ago it was that God made that promise and yet His promise still stands today. With the millions and millions of things that go on in this world and all the reasons we give him to break His promise to us, He still keeps it. This promise and every other one. He is a God of His word.

So, do you believe in the story of Noah, one of the most well known bible stories? Do you believe in God's promise to Noah that He's kept for all this time, and continues to show us the symbol of His promise?

If you do, what's stopping you from trusting His other promises?

We don't wake up everyday, leaving our house dreading that God is going to flood the earth again. 
We easily, without thought even, trust that promise. 
But yet we allow our minds to be filled with doubt and fear, tormenting ourselves  and relying on what little control of our own lives we have, instead of fully trusting Him. He is the one who has not once let us down in all of history.

I mentioned God's other promises. What exactly has He promised us? 

I picked out three promises that I found to share with you all.

The first, and I'd say the biggest for believers is the promise of new life. New chances and do overs every single day. (See Lamentations 2:22-23)

We're all familiar with John 3:16. In that verse believers are promised that we will not perish, but have eternal life. 


"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 6:23)

The second promise that I found is from John 14:27. Peace. 

"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful."

He promises us peace. Peace that the world cannot give us. Assurance and stability in Him, even when the earth shakes us up. 

The third promise I found is from Matthew 11:28-29

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

The part from that that really catches my eye is towards the end where it says "...and you will find rest for your souls."

Obviously, putting our trust in God doesn't mean life is always going to be great. We're going to have numerous times through life that we feel mentally and physically exhausted. But He promises "rest for our souls" We can rest in the first promise. Because we know that no matter what happens to us here, we belong to Him. Our souls can rest.

When I see the rainbow, I not only see it as a symbol of His promise to Noah, but also as a reminder that He is faithful. 
He keeps His promises to us. From the bery beginning of time, till now. 
He.Never.Let's.Us.Down.
So why is it so hard to trust him? 

Think about that. 

God bless :)











1 comment:

  1. Great post Carlie! I like the promisses you chose to write about. And that's a great rainbow picture. :P

    -Calvin

    ReplyDelete